Sure, you know that you should not be using the credit card to buy the big stuff. We all know that. But do you know how to save money, really?
Not spending is part of the deal, clearly. But can you break down the big picture dreams into daily actions and saving that will work for you and your lifestyle?
The truth is: most of us have never even thought about it.
Here are 4 steps to help you save money for what you really want.
1. Set the goal.
- The object.
- The time line.
- Create trade-offs.
2. Break it down to tiny steps.
- Open an additional savings account if necessary.
- Label the account.
- Check after the first check to make sure money is getting deposited.
3. Set it up for auto transfers.
- Deposit to the account.
- Monthly, bi-monthly, weekly deposits.
- Check each month.
4. Leave it alone.
- Here’s the challenge: The DISCIPLINE.
- Make it yours.
And 5. (the Bonus)
Enjoy every single minute of that big thing. Because it’s already paid for!